Sunday, October 01, 2006

Proselytizing

I can only imagine what was going through the LDS missionaries' minds when I accepted their information card and then asked, "May I give you something in return?"

I am certain that they thought I was off to get a tract of some kind that would show them (maybe in Chick cartoon form) how they were bound for hell. This is a favorite Christian outreach that avoids having serious discussions about the nature of salvation and the truth of the Living God.

I don't much like tracts, can you tell?

I do like Mormons quite a bit.

Anyway, I got a spare copy of Carolyn Arends's Pollyanna's Attic from the office and handed it to them.

"I'd like you to have this, " I said. "She's a Christian singer/songwriter who lives up north in British Columbia, and I think her music is fantastic. Please give it a listen, and if it isn't quite your style, please pass it along to someone you know who may like it."

Need I say that they looked relieved? They accepted my offering with gratitude and warmth. I'm sure that was the first time someone wanted simply to give them music without any hellfire strings attached. I told them that I would pray for their safety as they fulfilled their missions obligation. And, indeed, I have.

Long has the therapeutic administration of the latest Carolyn Arends CD been my particular "ministry." I have a list of about eight friends who automatically get sent a new album when one is released. I have also given CDs to the entire ministry staff at our church (not without an ulterior motive, I confess -- I wanted them to book a concert with her). This is the first time I have given one of her albums to a stranger, and certainly the first time I have given one as a response to another religion's missionaries. I think that this is a good approach. I really respect the fact the the LDS church fully prepares and funds missionaries, and I have no desire to provoke these fine, young men. But, who wouldn't benefit from listening to the honey-tinged voice and soul-searing lyrics of the singular Mrs. A.?

I think I shall have to keep more spare copies of her albums around the house. This could start a revolution!

4 comments:

Dionne said...

I know I'm coming to this particular blog post about...oh, over two years later, but I wanted to say thank you. I'm LDS, and I'm grateful for your very classy response to missionaries of a different faith.

Ironically, I was first exposed to Carolyn Arend's music on a LDS CD for teenagers called "Joy in the Journey", where her song "Reaching" was covered. It remains one of my all-time favorite songs.

Justine said...

Hey, that's cool! Glad you found this page no matter how many years have passed.

(As you can see, I have not updated in a while, either).

Anyway, I wanted to encourage you to visit Carolyn's site (if you haven't already) and sign her guestbook to let her know how you first heard her music. I'm sure she'd be tickled to death. As am I that you stopped by.

Every blessing in 2009!
Justine

Michael Walker said...

As a Former LDS Missionary, I want to say thank you. I served in the deep south, (Florida panhandle and southern Alabama). We were told where to go and how to get there on a daily basis. I am not your typical Utah Mormon. I am a convert at the age of 18 from the hills of West Virginia. I relished the times while tracting, when people showed kindness. It made me feel better about what I was doing.

Justine said...

Thanks, Michael, for stopping by and commenting! Your words have blessed my day. I'm glad God kept you safe during your days as a missionary. I continue to marvel at and admire the lovely LDS folks who pound the pavement of my neighborhood in and out of season (that's saying more than you think in this murky, soggy PNW land). Have a happy, holy Easter!